The Head Coach is responsible for coaching and providing direction to student-athletes so that they might achieve a high level of skill as well as an appreciation for discipline, sportsmanship, and teamwork.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Follows and maintains knowledge of all District policy(ies) and procedures.
- Holds organizational meetings for team prospects and encourages potential athletes to participate in the sport.
- Assesses the players’ strengths and weaknesses.
- Develops an efficient practice schedule and organizes practice time to provide both individual and team development.
- Works with the athletic director in scheduling facilities for practices and competition.
- Assigns duties to an assistant coach as necessary.
- Coaches and instructs players, individually or in groups, regarding the rules, regulations, equipment, and techniques of the sport.
- Observes players, during competition and practice to determine the needs for individual or team improvement. Creates a plan to improve weaknesses.
- Determines the game strategy based on the team’s capabilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have excellent planning and organization skills.
- Must have the ability to work collaboratively with others.
- Must have strong verbal communication skills.
- Must model a desire and willingness to continually learn.