Position is responsible for coaching student athletes in game strategies and techniques to prepare them for athletic competition. Position motivates student athletes to develop an appreciation of the sport.
1. Holds organizational meetings for team prospects and encourages potential athletes to participate in the sport.
2. Assesses player’s skills and assigns team positions.
3. Develops a regular practice schedule and organizes practice time to provide both individual and team development.
4. Works with the athletics director in scheduling facilities for practices and competition.
5. Assigns duties to an assistant coach as necessary.
6. Coaches and instructs players, individually or in groups, regarding the rules, regulations, equipment, and techniques of the sport.
7. Observes players, during competition and practice to determine the needs for individual or team improvement.
8. Determines game strategy based on the team’s capabilities.
9. Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior and provides proper supervision of athletes at all times.
10. Monitors the academic performance of team members to ensure that eligibility requirements are met; and encourages student athletes to maintain a high academic standard.
11. Follows established procedures in the event of an athlete’s injury.
12. Conferences with parents/guardians, as necessary, regarding the athletic performance of their student.
13. Follows state, regional, and district regulations governing the athletic program.
14. Models sports-like behavior and maintains appropriate conduct towards players, officials, and spectators.
15. Acts as a team representative and promotes the sport by communicating with the news media, booster clubs, service clubs, and other organizations.
16. Follows established procedures for the proper care, maintenance, and requisitioning of equipment, supplies, and uniforms.
17. Works with the athletic director to develop a policy for awards and submits a list of award winners at the end of the season.
18. Participates in special activities to include parent’s night, banquets, award nights, and pep assemblies.
19. Maintains eligibility forms, emergency data cards, insurance records, equipment inventory, and other related records.
20. Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
Some experience as a head cross country coach or assistant coach at the high school or college level preferred. Must possess effective coaching techniques and skills. Must possess a thorough knowledge of the rules, regulations, strategies, and techniques of the sport. Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with school administrators, parents, and students.