Under the direction of the school principal, the classroom teacher is responsible for creating a positive learning environment where students develop the skills to become critical thinkers, problem solvers, lifelong learners and productive citizens.
- Develop lesson plans and instructional materials and provide individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of the child.
- Utilize effective teaching techniques in translating lesson plans into productive student learning experiences which best utilize the time available for instruction
- Utilize computers and other technological classroom support equipment in student instruction.
- Supervision of students requires both indoor and outdoor responsibilities (e.g. recess duty, gymnasium activities, etc.) in all types of weather and air quality.
- Establish and maintain standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom through organization and appropriate discipline strategies.
- Evaluate students’ academic and social growth, maintain appropriate records, and prepare progress reports.
- Be familiar with and willing to implement Proficiency-Based Learning in evaluating students.
- Be familiar with and willing to implement the Granite Way.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills.
- Possess strong computer and educational technological skills.
- Works independently with little direct supervision.
- Works as part of a team.
- Accepts responsibility and is self-motivated.
- Demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain a positive learning environment and handle classroom management issues in a calm manner.
- Display effective multi-tasking and time management skills.