Under the general Supervision of the Athletic Director, To instruct athletes in the fundamental skills, strategy and physical training necessary for them to realize a degree of individual and team success. At the same time, the coach must instruct and demonstrate behaviors that lead to socially acceptable character development, self-discipline, self-confidence, and pride of accomplishment in the student athletes. To upgrade his/her knowledge and skills through coaching clinics, observations, consultation, etc.
- Has a thorough knowledge of all the athletic policies approved by the Chester Upland School District’s Board and is responsible for their implementation by the entire staff of the sports program.
- Has knowledge of existing system, state and league regulations; implements same consistently and interprets them for staff.
- Understands the proper administrative line of command and refers all requests or grievances through proper channels. Is aware of all public/staff/departmental meetings that require attendance.
- In several instances, the head coach must advise, coordinate and support a staff of high school assistant coaches and middle school coaches in conjunction with the athletic director and respective principal.
- Assists the athletic director in scheduling, providing transportation and requirements for tournament and special sport events.
- Assists in the necessary preparation to hold scheduled sport events or practices and adheres to scheduled facility times. Coordinates program with maintenance and school employees.
- Provides documentation to fulfill state and system requirements concerning physical examinations, parental consent and eligibility.
- Provides proper safeguards for maintenance and protection of assigned equipment sites.