The Athletic Head Coach is responsible for providing appropriate and coaching expertise guidance to student-athletes related to a particular sport for the duration of the sports season. As part of the Athletic Program, at the assigned school, the Head Coach is responsible for teaching and modeling good sportsmanship behaviors, appropriate techniques, and skills related to the particular sport, ensuring safe practices are implemented to protect the students from physical injuries, and for serving as good role models for the students, the school and the school system.
- Thorough knowledge of all the Athletic Policies approved by the Board of Education.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the existing system, state, and conference regulations.
- Thorough understanding of the proper administrative line of command.
- Thorough knowledge of the fundamental philosophy, skills, and techniques associated with the athletic program.
- Thorough knowledge of state and federal requirements regarding physical examinations, parental consent, and eligibility for athletic participation.
- Thorough knowledge of training rules and any other unique regulations about the various sports in which athletes are engaged.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the implementation and enforcement by the entire staff of the sports program Athletic Policies.
- Implement, interpret and enforce consistently existing school system, state, and conference regulations.
- Refer all requests of grievances through proper channels.
- Attend all public/staff/departmental meetings for which attendance is required.
- Establish the fundamental philosophy, skills, and techniques for a particular sport to be taught by staff.
- Design conferences, training clinics, and staff meetings to ensure staff awareness of the overall program.
- Encourage professional growth by encouraging clinic attendance according to local clinic policy.
- Delegate specific duties, supervise implementation, and at season’s end, analyze staff effectiveness and evaluate all assistants.
- Maintain discipline, address grievances, and work to increase morale and cooperation.
- Assist the Athletic Director with scheduling, providing transportation, and requirements for the tournament and special sports events.