- Valid teaching certificate licensing the individual to teach or hold a WV coaching authorization;
- Criminal background check conducted pursuant to WV Code §18-5-15c and/or §18A-3-10, as appropriate; experience as a participant or coach of the sport;
- First aid and CPR training certificate required; complete concussion and head injury recognition and return-to-play protocol course approved by the WVSSAC; other qualifications as determined by WVDE, WVSSAC, and school administrator.
- Keep informed of the academic progress of student athletics during the season of the sport. Check grades each grading period to ensure athletes are eligible to participate;
- Assume responsibility for all matters relating to the organization and administration of the team under his/her direction;
- Plan, organize, and schedule a regular program of practices during the season; coordinate with other head coaches during the legal practicing in the three-week off-season as allowed by the WVSSAC; schedule must be submitted to the athletic administrator by June 1;
- Enforce discipline and sportsmanlike behavior at all times, and establish and oversee penalties for breach of such standards by individual participants; Must make participants aware of rules and penalties at the BEGINNING of the season; follow the athletic manual, if available;
- Know and enforce all county, school, WVDE, WVSSAC, and federal rules/regulations, including team travel, school, and transportation policies;
- Develop high caliber and quality instruction by teaching the necessary fundamental skills necessary for the athlete to achieve personal and team success;
- Develop positive relationships with the following: the sport participants, student body, faculty, parents, and community (county), game officials, news media, opponents, athletic administrator, and principal.