To instruct athletes in the fundamental skills, strategy and physical training necessary for them to realize a degree of individual and team success. At the same time, the student-athlete shall receive instruction that will lead to the formation of moral values, acceptable social behavior, self-discipline and self-confidence.
- Has the ability to organize, supervise and provide leadership for a total sport program within the framework of the total athletic program.
- Has previous successful coaching experience in assigned sport.
- The Head Coach must have substantial knowledge of the technical aspects of the sport and at the same time must be able to coordinate, plan, evaluate and implement his/her program.
- An ability to follow the expectations as outlined by the MHSAA, the SEC and Saline Area Schools.
- Establish the fundamental philosophy, skills and techniques to be taught by staff including volunteers. Design conferences, clinics and staff meetings to insure staff awareness of overall program.
- Train and inform the staff, encourage professional growth by encouraging clinic attendance according to clinic request policy.
- Delegate specific duties, staff plans, seasonal plans and scouting duties, supervise implementation and at seasons end analyze staff effectiveness.
- Maintain liaison with other community organizations related to the sport.
- Maintain discipline and works to increase morale and cooperation.
- Possess a well-stocked first aid kit and adequate water and ice for all practices and contests.
- Assist in the recruitment, screening, interviewing, training and assignment of coaching staff at the building level.
- Maintain / improve knowledge base and coaching skills by joining professional coaching organizations, taking advantage of clinic opportunities and/or utilizing local collegiate coaching staffs, (according to the professional development / clinic policy).