Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership and instruction to participants in the skills necessary for achievement in specific sport.
- Organize, develop and implement the sport program including game preparation and practice schedules.
- Oversee the safety conditions of the facilities or area in which the sport is conducted at all times that students are present.
- Enforce discipline and sportsmanlike behavior at all times, and establish and oversee consequences for breach of such standards by individual students.
- Maintain competency in rules, rule interpretations; meet procedures, coaching techniques and general information about all aspects of the sport.
- Establish performance criteria for participation in interscholastic competition in the specific sport and is consistent in establishing criteria for participation for competition.
- Select and supervise assigned coaching staff in cooperation with administration.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of students, employees of the district, or the community. Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both in oral and written form.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to apply knowledge of current research and theory of appropriate procedures related to evaluation, documentation and rehabilitation of athletic injuries.
- Must possess leadership and organizational abilities. Must have skills to work cooperatively with staff and school administration.
All employers submitting a job opening for posting on the Teach Iowa system will not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, age, physical disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, marital status, or status as a veteran. A bona fide religious institution may choose to exercise the allowances in Iowa Code section 216.6.(6)d. Employers may have additional developed specific equal employment opportunity policies and procedures; please check with employers.