Under the direction of the Athletic Director the Head Varsity Coach is responsible for all matters relating to the organization, administration and philosophy of the sport. The Varsity Head Coach must be committed to the personal development of each player on the roster. The Varsity Head Coach is responsible for facilitating each participating student achieve a high level of skill, and an
appreciation for the values of discipline and sportsmanship, as well as an increased level of self esteem.
- A Head Varsity Coach must help students develop a competitive nature, teach them about ethical behavior and good sportsmanship, and assist in the development of leadership skills.
- Build positive working relationships with all other head coaches. Work with all sports teams to share facilities and support each other’s programs.
- Teach student maneuvers and plays relating to the position in which the player is assigned.
- Explains and demonstrates use of apparatus and equipment.
- Observes students during practice to detect and correct mistakes.
- Provides instruction regarding safety and enforces safety rules and regulations.
- Teaches appropriate methods of keeping score.
- Organizes and conducts competitions and tournaments.
- Experience working in a collaborative environment.
- Designing game plans and assigning positions.
- Preparing and conditioning athletes.
- Understanding rules and regulations governing high school sports.
- Experience working with teens.
- Experience working with diverse groups and ethnicities.