Under general supervision, provide direction for the Men's and Women's Cross Country program through meet coaching, player and team skill development and recruitment and retention of academically and athletically prepared students. Support activities of the cross-country program within the rules and guidelines of the NJCAA, the Illinois Skyway Collegiate Conference and the college. Demonstrate a sound and committed educational philosophy for holistic student development including academic, athletic and personal. Support the mission and philosophy of the college.
1. An associate degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable skills and abilities can be obtained is required. A bachelor's degree is desired.
2. Collegiate level running experience a plus.
3. Two years of cross-country coaching experience as a head or assistant coach at the college, high school, club team, travel team, or AAU team required. Preference given to candidates with collegiate coaching experience.
5. Knowledge of NJCAA/NCAA rules and regulations is a plus.
6. Excellent interpersonal, organizational, planning and leadership skills and a positive role model for young adults is expected.
7. Ability to work independently in an unstable and chaotic environment desired.
8. Valid Class "D" driver's license required.
9. Work performed in different environments including interior/office work areas, gymnasiums and outdoor areas.
10. Work will require significant physical effort associated with coaching and teaching cross-country skills and techniques. The work will also require the lifting and movement of equipment up to 50 pounds.
11. Limited exposure to physical risk.
12. Regional travel required with occasional extended out-of-state travel for post-season competition.
Coaches are hired on a season by season basis. A reasonable effort is made to assure future coaching assignments to those coaches who have had a history of successful academic and athletic team performances at Oakton Community College.