Houghton University, a Christian Liberal Arts College located in Western New York, seeks applicants for the position of Head Men’s Volleyball Coach. Houghton, as members of the NCAA Division III, participates in the Empire 8 Conference. Houghton University is an academically rigorous and vibrant Christian university, with a tradition of student athletes excelling in the classroom as well as on the court.
- Earned Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred).
- Playing experience at the collegiate level and/or successful coaching experience at the high school or college level is strongly preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of the game with a demonstrated ability to recruit and develop athletes.
- Demonstrated commitment to athletics as a venue for the development of the whole person.
- Strong interpersonal skills, the ability to work effectively in a team setting, and a commitment to sports ministry.
- CPR certification, possession or ability to obtain valid New York State Driver’s License.
- Provide leadership and instruction in the personal and athletic development of student athletes.
- Direct and coordinate the activities of the team staff to include the planning, organizing and coaching of the team; ensure compliance with university, conference and national policies and regulations.
- Direct the team staff in the preparation of analyses of opponent teams; analyze game statistics and tactical data of opponents and prepare game plans accordingly.
- Counsel team members in academic, disciplinary and personal matters; consult with university administration and faculty for resolution of problems as required.
- Assign and supervise the team staff in the recruitment of new players
- Provide opportunities for spiritual growth and formation, including such activities as team devotions, individual discipleship and mentoring, and planning of mission trips domestically and abroad.