Oversee the day-to-day operations of the softball program including those duties outlined below:
- Schedule games with approval of the Director of Athletics; organize and schedule practice sessions.
- Develop game strategy, including practice, game coaching, and skill development.
- Seek out best practices and innovative approaches; provide a positive performance impact to enhance individual and team player development.
- Develop and oversee the off-season training program; monitor strength and conditioning of athletes.
- Supervise and hire staff; establish job performance standards; evaluate job performance; take corrective action; train; assign and schedule work; act upon leave requests.
- Develop and execute a plan to recruit student-athletes of high character who have the athletic talent to compete at the collegiate varsity level with the academic aptitude to earn a degree.
- Guide student athletes to be successful as an athlete and a student
- Build a large network to ensure successful recruiting
- Plan yearly budgets; make recommendations to administration
- Account for all expenditures and monitor spending
- Stay within established scholarship award limits
- Assigns and checks work and provides training. May provide feedback to supervisor to assist with work assignments and job performance.
- Actively engages in recruitment and hiring new employees;
- Clearly defines performance expectations, ensure accountability, and provides ongoing informal feedback, coaching, and mentoring. Conducts formal performance evaluations;
- Ensures employees have necessary resources;
- Oversees and directs the work of staff; serves as mentor, coach and leader, and resolves complaints or issues;
- Promotes professional development opportunities;
- Develops and fosters supportive working relationships, motivation and engagement;
- Communicates information to staff on an ongoing basis to influence staff engagement and to be a part of a larger community;
- Takes corrective action in a timely manner;
- Recognizes and rewards employees for good performance;
- Schedules employee work hours/shifts; monitor hours worked; approve payable time and absence requests;
- Adjusts leadership style as needed to achieve results;
- Recognizes value of and promotes diverse workforce. Values and encourages diverse perspectives, creativity and teamwork
Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years Professional or Collegiate Coaching OR an equivalent combination of experience, training, and/or education which clearly demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Understanding of and commitment to academic and athletic excellence
- Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong computer competency skills (MS Word, Excel, email, etc.)
- Experience recruiting student-athletes and fundraising for various athletic programs
- Knowledge of all applicable individual association rules and regulations
- Previous coaching and recruiting experience on the collegiate level
- Master’s Degree
- Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
- Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
- Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Additional Information : For additional information about the University, visit: http://www.cwu.edu
For additional information about Ellensburg, visit: http://www.myellensburg.com
How To Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach:
- A detailed cover letter clearly demonstrating how your education and experience: (a) meet the required (and, as applicable, preferred) qualifications, and (b) demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities as described by the posting;
- Resume including work history, education, training and contact information for three professional references;
- Copies transcripts for the highest degree held
Screening Begins: October 18, 2019
NOTE: Although copies of transcripts are acceptable for application purposes, all job offers are contingent upon verification of highest degree.
**Priority will be given to applications received by the screening date. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Name: Tyler Unsicker
Title: Associate Athletic Director for External Affairs
Website: Wildcat Sports
Please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 509-963-1202 if you require technical assistance with the on-line application process.
Conditions of Employment
Prior to employment, final candidate(s) will be required to submit to a background check. All information obtained through background investigations will be strictly confidential and revealed only to those required to have access.
The conditions of employment with Central Washington University are set forth in the Collective Bargaining Agreement between Central Washington University and United Faculty of Central, University policies and procedures, and applicable state and federal laws.
The Collective Bargaining Agreement may be found here: http://www.cwu.edu/hr/ufc