- Leads by example while adhering to YMCA policies, and being a role model both on and off the pool deck.
- Assesses the abilities of each swimmer and provides them with appropriate instruction and competitive event assignments (minimum of one event per athlete for a scheduled meet).
- Provides instruction, coaching and feedback to all swimmers during practices and meets that reflects the belief statements of YMCA competitive swimming.
- Develops the practice workout regimens to be used for each skill level group; instructs swimmers in the workout directly or oversees the assistant coach(es) in their delivery.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with swimmers and their parents; helps them connect with each other and the YMCA. Encourages parent involvement and identifies potential volunteers.
- Works with the aquatics director to develop practice and meet schedules in accordance with YMCA of Central Ohio Dive On In guidelines; considerations for schedules include balancing needs of the team program with the general membership of the Y.
- Conveys information about swim team programs and schedules to swimmers and parents.
- Must be at least 21 years of age; have a high school diploma; experience in swim team and coaching; knowledge of skill and stroke development.
- Certifications: American Red Cross CPR and First Aid for the Professional Rescuer, AED, O2 certification and any other current industry standard safety certification.
- Current YUSA coaches safety training or Lifeguard certifications; must have completed Principles of Competitive Swimming and Diving.
- Must be able to demonstrate swim team coach skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
- Provides staff with ongoing supervision and training related to abuse risk.
- Provides staff with regular feedback regarding their boundaries with youth.
- Requires staff to adhere to policies and procedures related to abuse risk.
- Responds quickly to policy and procedure violations using the organization’s progressive disciplinary procedures.