Herndon Parks and Recreation Department is seeking a well-rounded, experienced Head Swim Coach to plan, supervise, coordinate, lead, and instruct the Herndon Aquatics Club Commanders Swim Team. The program focus is on developing swimmers in a supportive and team-oriented environment to prepare them for recreational and competitive meets.
- Performing as head swim coach of the Herndon Commanders Swim Team, ages 6-18 years; supervising coaching staff; coaches and instructing swimmers, plans workouts and coordinates swim meets. Focusing the team’s operational philosophy on welcoming and developing all swimmers and employing a community minded outlook to team initiatives.
- Planning annual swim season by preparing meet entries, registering swimmers, preparing all information, planning team trips, and making team travel arrangements. Assigning the swim team assistant (PTF) to complete administrative tasks when appropriate.
- Assisting with preparation of swim team budget, including but not limited to purchases and inventory.
- Leading the effort to recruit and train coaches; evaluates instructional curriculum. Assuring coaches deliver excellent program quality and support all members of their assigned groups. Arranging coaches CPR-first aid and safety training and other training as required/recommended.
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Supplemented by major coursework in parks and recreation, public administration or related field.
- Supplemented by minimum three years’ experience in public swim activities, coaching and staff supervision.
- Certification in public pool operations, CPR and first aid, American Red Cross lifeguard certification and safety training for swim coaches, or the ability to obtain all within three months of employment.
- Experience in parks and recreation agency; municipal agency strongly preferred.