The Varsity Head Coach is responsible for leading all aspects of the athletic program in their assigned sport under the direction of the school principal and athletic director. This should be accomplished in a manner that serves the best interests of the school district, school, and of the student athletes who participate at any level in that program.
Essential Performance Responsibilities:
- Sets and maintains appropriately high expectations for learning and classroom performance as a condition for participation in athletics.
- Assures that students’ academic performance is monitored and supported to ensure success.
- Sets and maintains high behavioral expectations for student athletes and staff who participate in the program, assuring that all conduct presents the school and the school district in a positive manner. Supports the values of competitive sports including hospitality, sportsmanship, and fair play.
- Develops and communicates an administratively approved plan for teaching and supporting appropriate student behavior including possible consequences for unacceptable behavior. Assures that the plan is implemented consistently and fairly to support the development of the student athletes and promote the success of the athletics program.
- Develops and implements a cohesive athletics program in the specified sport that teaches skills and promotes team play of all program participants through instruction, practice, and competitive events.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree, with emphasis in Education preferred.
- Current or prospective employment as a teacher in the Omaha Public Schools and the identified site preferred.
- High School coaching experience in the specified sport, with prior head coaching experience preferred.
- Deep knowledge of the sport.
- High standards of professional ethics and conduct.
- Excellent attendance record.
- Excellent communication skills oral and written.
- Positive interpersonal skills.