Under the direction of the Athletic Director and/or Principal, the coach must plan and implement a high quality athletic program that stresses fundamentals, teamwork, and sportsmanship while maintaining high safety standards for all athletes. The coach must also be committed to high academic standards for all athletes by monitoring the academic performance of team members to ensure that eligibility requirements are met.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must be age 21 or older.
- Successful completion of the American Sport Education Program (ASEP) course and test entitled “Basic Virginia High School League Course” accessible at http://www.asep.com/asep_content/org/VHSL.cfm prior to beginning coaching duties with MCPS (there is a fee associated with this course). Courses completed before 2009 do not satisfy this requirement.
- Successful completion of the NFHS Concussion in Sports course accessible at www.nfhs.org prior to beginning coaching duties with MCPS (there is no fee associated with this course).
- Ability to communicate effectively with parents, students, and school administrators.
- Ability to motivate students.
- Ability to be dependable and punctual.
- Regular and predictable on-site attendance is required.
- Previous experience as a high school or college softball coach or participation in the sport at the college level.
- Current CPR certification.