Under general supervision of the Principal and/or Athletic Director, is responsible for coaching or advising students of Washoe County School District in a specified athletic or non-athletic Extended Day Duty Activity, requiring a high standard of sound and acceptable coaching/advising practices. The incumbent adheres to a highly efficient and technically sound program of injury prevention and safety precaution.
- Develops rapport with students and provides sound leadership; responsible for being an example of good sportsmanship; applies discipline in a fair and positive manner and according to prescribed procedures; responsible for the general health and welfare of students and for the actions and conduct of students.
- Maintains cooperation with Principal and/or Athletic Director and other Extended Day Duty personal; maintains good communications with the Principal and/or Athletic Director by keeping them informed regarding the overall program, including trips, games, etc.
- The incumbent(s) develops a sound system for accountability, upkeep and protection of equipment.
- The incumbent (s) develops good public relations in the school and community.
- The incumbent attends contests and practice sessions.
- The incumbent completes appropriate reports evaluating the activity and makes recommendations for improvements.
- Equivalent to a high school diploma. However, it is preferred that individuals applying be teachers presently under contract with Washoe County School District.
- Some experience participating in and/or functioning as a coach/advisor in this particular activity.
- Possession of a valid Nevada Teaching Certificate is desirable; a certificate for cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) is required for coaches/advisors involved in an athletic activity.