The incumbent is responsible for supporting student-athlete academic success, recruiting prospective student-athletes following the College’s mission and student-athlete recruitment procedures, and planning and directing the applicable sports program/athletic team.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of rules, strategies, and techniques of the applicable sport.
Knowledge of methods of physical conditioning.
Knowledge of any divisional regulations pertaining to the sport.
Knowledge of College, rules and regulations governing sports schedules and activities within and outside of College.
Knowledge of equipment, materials, and supplies required to provide facilities suitable for the applicable sport.
Ability to plan, organize, and direct a sports program/athletic team.
Ability to communicate effectively.
1. Supports student-athlete academic success by ensuring students are meeting the College’s academic progress expectations and providing and enforcing appropriate interventions when there are signs of deficiency.
2. Recruits prospective in-state student-athletes in accordance with the mission of the College and vision for athletics.
3. Maintains positive relationships with Delaware high school coaches to recruit prospective student-athletes.
4. Plans and directs the athletic team, assigning positions, preparing players for athletic competition, developing and implementing strategies to improve performance, and determining game strategy.
5. Models and encourages leadership, sportsmanship, teamwork, and positive citizenship.
6. Verifies athlete eligibility prior to competition.
7. Following the athletic scholarship guidelines, recommends scholarship awards to the athletic director.
8. Works with athletics department to schedule games, events, and transportation of players to games.
9. Serves as the responsible party for student-athlete safety and conduct during all team athletic practices, games, events and activities and notifies the athletic director of any issues.