A Teacher performs complex professional work, providing teaching and/or training services to students in general instruction in one or more subject contents; motivates students to develop skills in assigned subject matters; performs related work as required.
Teachers must possess thorough knowledge of subject(s) taught; thorough knowledge of elementary, secondary, or special education principles, practices and procedures; thorough knowledge of the principles and methodology of effective teaching; thorough knowledge of school division rules, regulations and procedures; ability to establish and maintain standards of behavior; ability to deliver articulate oral presentations and written reports; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, students, administration, and parents.
- Meets and instructs the students(s) in assigned locations and at the designated times;
- Designs coherent instruction based upon knowledge of subject matter, current instructional practices, students, the community, and curriculum goals;
- Plans effective instruction to achieve desired objectives that reflect the Virginia Standards of Learning and division curriculum guidelines;
- Prepares for classes assigned and shows evidence of lesson preparation upon request of the building administrator(s);
- Diagnoses individual, group, and program needs and plans for the appropriate use of time, materials, and resources to match the ability and needs of all students.