The job of "Teacher" is done for the purpose/s of developing students' academic and interpersonal skills through implementing District approved curriculum and/or the appropriate presentations of courses of study; documenting teaching and student progress/ activities/ outcomes; addressing specific academic needs of students; providing a safe and optimal learning environment; and, providing feedback to students, parents/guardians and administration regarding student progress, expectations, goals, etc.
Essential Job Functions:
- Selects or writes learning goals that are based upon the district's expected outcomes, Oregon Board of Education directives, and the physical and mental maturity of the students.
- Determines the current achievement level of the students with respect to the learning goals.
- Establishes objectives for a unit of instruction, formulates daily lessons and evaluates student’s attainment of learning goals.
- Adapts unit and lesson plans for exceptional learners and for students from varying cultural, social, and Iinguistic backgrounds.
- Selects and organizes instructional materials and equipment for the unit of instruction.
- Designs instructional activities to achieve unit and lesson objectives.
- Estimates the time required for direct instruction, student practice and application, and evaluation of student learning.
- Establishes a classroom climate conducive to learning by students for the purpose of providing a safe and optimal learning environment.
Skills, Knowledge and/or Abilities:
- Skills to motivate students, communicate with individuals from varied educational and cultural backgrounds, direct support personnel, evaluate performance.
- Knowledge of age appropriate teaching methods, state and district curriculum standards, credit and grading requirements (when applied), appropriate instructional subjects.
- Abilities to perform a variety of specialized and responsible tasks, maintain records, establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, parents/guardians, other school personnel, meet schedules and deadlines. Significant physical abilities include mobility in the classroom, lifting/carrying, reaching/handling, talking/hearing conversations, near/far visual acuity/depth perception/ accommodation/field of vision.