To help students learn subject matter and/or skills that will contribute to their development as mature, able, and responsible men and women.
- Valid teaching certificate in North Carolina or be able to obtain one.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
- Plans a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of students.
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of students.
- Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and, in harmony with the goals, establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units, projects, and the like to communicate these objectives to students.
- Employs instructional methods and materials that are most appropriate for meeting stated objectives.
- Assesses the accomplishments of students on a regular basis and provides progress reports as required.
- Counsels with colleagues, students, and/or parents on a regular basis.
- Assists the administration in implementing all policies and/or rules governing student life and conduct, and, for the classroom, develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure, and maintains order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
- Plans and supervises, when assigned, purposeful assignments for teacher assistants and evaluates their job performance.