To instruct athletes in the fundamental skills, strategy and physical training necessary for them to realize a degree of individual and team success. At the same time, the coach must instruct and demonstrate behaviors that lead to socially acceptable character development, self discipline, self confidence, and pride of accomplishment in the student athletes.
Essential Job Functions:
- Participates in the budgeting function with the athletic director by establishing requirements for the next season.
- Recommends equipment guidelines as to type, style, color or technical specifications.
- Is responsible for operating within budget appropriations.
- Is accountable for all equipment and collects the cost of any equipment lost or not returned.
- Arranges for issuing, storing and reconditioning of equipment and submits annual inventory and current records concerning same.
- Properly marks and identifies all equipment before issuing or storing.
- Monitors equipment rooms and coaches' offices, authorizes who may enter, issue or requisition equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of all the athletic policies.
- Knowledge of existing system, state and league regulations; implements same consistently and interprets them for staff.
- Ability to organize and supervise a total sports program.
- Substantial knowledge of the technical aspects of the sport and, at the same time, must continue to examine new theories and procedures pertinent to the field.
- Ability to serve as an appropriate role model for student athletes through his/ her instructions and actions.