To instruct athletes in the fundamental skills, strategy and physical training necessary for them to realize a degree of individual and team success. At the same time, the coach must instruct and demonstrate behaviors that lead to socially acceptable character development, self-discipline, self-confidence, and pride of accomplishment in the student athletes.
Essential Job Functions:
- Participates in the budgeting function with the athletic director by establishing requirements for the next season.
- Recommends equipment guidelines as to type, style, color or technical specifications.
- Is responsible for operating within budget appropriations.
- Is accountable for all equipment and collects the cost of any equipment lost or not returned.
- Arranges for issuing, storing and reconditioning of equipment and submits annual inventory and current records concerning same.
- Properly marks and identifies all equipment before issuing or storing.
- Monitors equipment rooms and coaches' offices, authorizes who may enter, issue or requisition equipment.
- Permits the athletes to only be in authorized areas of the building at the appropriate times.
- Examines locker rooms before and after practices and games, checking on general cleanliness of the facility. Responsible for cleanliness and maintenance of specific sport equipment.
- Secures all doors, lights, windows and locks before leaving building if custodians are not on duty.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of all the athletic policies.
- Knowledge of existing system, state and league regulations; implements same consistently and interprets them for staff.
- Ability to organize and supervise a total sports program.
- Substantial knowledge of the technical aspects of the sport and, at the same time, must continue to examine new theories and procedures pertinent to the field.
- Ability to serve as an appropriate role model for student athletes through his/ her instructions and actions.