Responsible for all levels and all phases of his or her sport. Particular duties may be assigned to assistants, but the head coach is responsible for things getting done correctly and on schedule.
- Enforce all rules of the Kansas State High School Activities Association.
- Supervise student athletes during all facets of participation (Examples – competition travel, meetings, practices, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring activities are conducted in an environment with minimal risk of injury to the participant and that the scope of those activities is in keeping with the USD 500 Board of Education mission and policies.
- Maintain a variety of records for the purpose of complying with district, athletic conference, state and KSHSAA requirements. (Examples: required forms such as the pre-participation physical exam, concussion form, insurance waiver and medical release, activity consent forms, tryout/participation agreement forms, emergency contact information, schedules, equipment inventory, game/student athlete statistics, accurate squad roster, etc.)
- Verify that no candidate is issued equipment or allowed to practice until he/she has completed a KSHSAA pre-participation physical exam, completed a concussion form, provided signed insurance waiver and medical release and provided tryout/participation agreement forms. Ensure all transfer students have met the KSHSAA eligibility requirements prior to participation. Ensure all participating students have purchased the required activity ticket.
- Certified teacher or qualify for Rule 10 certification through the Kansas State High Schoo Activities Association.
- Successsful completion of a criminal background check.
- Current certification in CPR and AED.