- Preferred Missouri Teacher Certificate.
- At least five years of successful teaching experience in public or private schools and at least five years of successful coaching in his or her chosen coaching area.
- Be responsible for all matters pertaining to the organization and administration of the coaching of the team under his/her direction and shall enforce all MSHSAA rules.
- Assign duties to all assistant coaches and evaluate the performance of these assistant coaches as they fulfill their duties and responsibilities.
- Plan and conduct all practice sessions.
- Be responsible for preparing public information releases regarding their particular sport.
- Maintain an accurate squad roster at all times, being sure that it is up-to-date and on file with the Activities Office.
- Assign at least one coach to be with the squad at all times. This includes locker room supervision until all squad members have left the building and then seeing that all lights are turned off and all doors locked.
- Prepare detailed equipment and supply budget requests to be submitted to the Activities Director.
- Inspect all equipment, oversee the issuance and collection of equipment, maintain equipment inventory records, and direct activities of student managers. Also, enforce rules regarding care of equipment.