The coaching position is responsible for adhering to the athletic policy approved by the Detroit Public Schools Community District and the Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA). The coaching position is essential in providing enthusiasm/knowledge for leading, teaching, mentoring, and preparing high school scholar-athletes for next level successes.
- Proof of a minimum of an Associate Degree or equivalent (evidence of 60 hours current credits) and evidence of a certified plan of towards a Bachelor's Degree must be present at time of application. All coaches, current and new must meet these requirements or will be released at the end of the most current season.
- Applicants must provide evidence of experience in high school and/or college sports, preferably in the area of applicable position.
- Must have at least five (5) years of previous coaching in the area of applicable position.
- Must have knowledge of athletic procedures.
- Demonstrated verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills required.
- Regularly monitor scholar-athletes' academic eligibility performance, attendance, behavior, training and development of their individual athletic ability.
- Coordinate the use, upkeep, care and submit an annual inventory listing of all district equipment and facilities.
- Maintain and report the season's scores, records and statistics (before the season, during the season of games and throughout the seasons' end).
- Coaches will report directly to the building Athletic Coordinator (via the Office of Athletics) in which they will assist with ensuring there is a positive, coaching/mentoring environment, stressing the importance of academic achievement.
- Provide an atmosphere conducive to good sportsmanship and stewardship.
- Shall duly serve as a positive role model/mentor for scholar-athletes.