The Athletic Coach provides instruction and coaching to students developing skills and the ability to excel in athletics. The Athletic Coach contributes to the educational program as a whole and to the growth of students involved in sports so that they are successfully competitive. The Athletic Coach must realize and appreciate the need for the sport program to work with other sports as a complement to the entire athletic department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage and supervise athletic activities, contests, and practice sessions to promote individual growth in athletic skills, teamwork, discipline, respect and good sportsmanship.
- Use a variety of instructional techniques and media to meet the needs and improve the abilities of student athletes.
- Work with other members of school staff to plan and put in place instructional goals and objectives to ensure the overall educational development of student athletes.
- Ensure that coaches work together toward a common goal within the athletic program and provide unity with a structured feeder system.
- Establish performance criteria for competition and evaluate students’ athletic abilities initially and on a regular basis.
- Take all necessary precautions to protect student athletes, equipment, materials and facilities.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- 3+ years’ successful experience coaching an athletic sport is preferred.
- Experience working with students in a diverse, multicultural academic setting is required.
- Lifelong learner with a collaborative spirit is required.
- Bilingual preferred but not required.
- General knowledge of coaching techniques and procedures is required.
- Knowledge of middle school athletic rules/regulations is required.
- Demonstrated ability to instruct and supervise student athletes is required.