Performs professional physical therapy services that are concerned with the evaluation and treatment of individuals to detect, assess, and prevent disability and restore function following trauma or disease. This may include various physical therapy tests, measurements, and interventions.
- Minimum Education: Graduate of a physical therapy educational program approved by the State Board of Physical Therapy Examiners.
- Minimum Years of Experience: None.
- Substitutable Education & Experience: None.
- Required Certifications/Licensure: Licensed physical therapist in the State of South Carolina by the State Board of Physical Therapy Examiners; CPR Certification.
- Evaluates patients using special physical therapy tests and measurements such as muscle testing, functional ability, range of motion, and neurological testing.
- Develops physical therapy treatment plans.
- Administers physical therapy treatments designed to relieve pain, develop or restore function and maintain maximum performance using physical means such as, but not limited to, therapeutic exercise, manual therapy and modalities.
- Documents/records appropriate patient treatment data, such as patient progress notes, evaluation reports and discharge summaries.
- Instructs patients and their families in home program.
- Supervises and monitors patient's plan of care when carried out by a physical therapist assistant.
- Represents department and communicates with the interdisciplinary team for discharge planning and coordination of medical services during hospital stay.
- Represents department in meetings, such as attending patient care conferences and providing in-services for other hospital departments such as nursing, housekeeping, etc.