- Demonstrates and instructs basic skills, knowledge and strategies of organized sports, games and related physical activities, including warm-up and cool-down exercises.
- Demonstrates and instructs good sportsmanship and citizenship through physical education activities.
- Assures student participation in the physical education program and reports on student progress to assigned certificated personnel.
- Maintains acceptable student behavior by observing students in the physical education program and reports problems to assigned certificated personnel.
- Observes and enforces safety measures to assure the health and safety of students.
- Supervises students in secondary school locker rooms.
- Assists in the planning, preparation and organization of physical education activities.
- Maintains inventory of athletic equipment and requests replacements and repairs as needed.
- Performs routine clerical duties.
- May participate in physical education activities as player, scorekeeper, coach, referee or official as required.
- Behavior, needs and characteristics of school aged children.
- Basics of good disciplinary techniques, including conflict resolution.
- Basic safety rules.
- Basic record-keeping techniques.
- Learn individual and team sports and games.
- Use positive reinforcement to help build students' self esteem.
- Communicate and relate effectively with students, teachers, school administrators and parents.
- Be a positive role model to students.
- Be flexible and adapt positively to change.
- Handle student problems with patience and tact.
- Exercise good judgment.