The athletic director will provide outstanding leadership and communication in the development, organization, implementation, coordination, and evaluation of the high school athletic programs. Achieving excellence requires the athletic director to work collaboratively with students, parents, staff, coaches, and community members to promote co-curricular athletic programs that foster academic excellence, equity and diversity, leadership, character, skill development, sportsmanship, and an understanding of sport. Inherent in the position are the responsibilities for planning, athletic program development, evaluation, and personnel and financial management of the athletic department.
- Committed to the pursuit of excellence: Demonstrates a willingness to speak honestly, listen openly, and lead purposefully as a building leader and supervisor.
- Committed to providing innovation and leadership towards reaching extraordinary results in a comprehensive educational environment.
- Engaging change agent striving for exceptional results in staff and student performance.
- Personal and professional honesty and integrity with strong ethical and moral standards.
- Visible in the school and active in the Hood River County community as well as the region’s larger educational community.
- Strong interpersonal skills – a team builder and a team player.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Follows and maintains knowledge of all District policies and procedures.
- Strives to promote equity and diversity throughout the entire athletics program.
- Ensures NCAA compliance, updates NCAA course catalog, and communicates to collective members regarding NCAA/NAIA eligibility requirements.
- Responsible for the scheduling and supervision of all high school co-curricular athletic events.
- Supervises and directs the coaching staff to ensure that proper practice schedules are maintained and that OSAA (and other sport specific governing agencies ex. OISRA) rules are adhered to by all athletic teams.
- Arranges for officials and assumes general responsibility for the proper supervision of home games.
- Manages athletic events including set-up and clean-up, ensuring that events are safe.
- Arranges the cleaning, storage, and maintenance of all athletic equipment and uniforms, including the maintenance of updated inventories.
- Arranges transportation for all student-athletes and coaches to away athletic events.