This regular, part-time position (62%) is responsible for the overall supervision and operation of the men’s basketball program. The position reports to the Athletic Director.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for complying with the rules and regulations of the NJCAA and TCCAA as they relates to the men’s basketball program.
- Responsible for coordinating student-athlete recruitment activities for the men’s basketball team including, but not limited to, tracking the admissions and eligibility process involving recruited student-athletes.
- Responsible for scheduling and supervising all practices and games and submitting statistics to the TCCAA, Region VII and NJCAA national office.
- Make travel arrangements for the men’s basketball team and transport the team to and from games, which includes reserving DSCC vehicles as early as possible to avoid scheduling conflicts.
- Encourage academic success, retention, and graduation of student-athletes. Responsible for monitoring and supporting the student-athletes’ academic progress through monitoring study hall hours, obtaining feedback from faculty and promoting graduation.
- Supervise the volunteer assistant coach or other volunteers aiding with the men’s basketball team. Ensure timely submission of a Volunteer Agreement to the office of Human Resources each year for every volunteer.
- Maintain equipment and facilities related to the men’s basketball program.
- Provide timely publicity and schedule updates to the Director of Public Information.
- Develop and participate in fundraising activities for the Athletic Department.
- Participate in all DSCC athletic committee meetings, and other staff meetings when requested, as well as mandatory coaches meetings held by the TCCAA, Region VII and NJCAA national office.
- Prepare for out of town travel by requesting meal money advances in a timely manner and by providing itemized receipts and group travel summaries upon return to the college.
- Coordinate all aspects of the men’s basketball program budget with the Athletic Director in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Submit a mid-year and end-of-year program summary to the Athletic Director.
- Participate in the annual athletic recognition program.
- Recruit, coach, assist the instructor of record with the basketball activity courses, and assist with intramural basketball opportunities.
Restricted: Sustained posture or intense attentiveness for prolonged periods. Light lifting (less than 50 lbs), some walking, pushing, and pulling on a regular basis. Occasional exposure to risk controlled by safety precautions. Frequency or severity is limited. Frequent traveling to and from games is required.
- The coach will have reliable transportation and maintain a commercial driver’s license.
Minimum Requirements of Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- No less than three (3) years of experience in a position that requires coaching high school or intercollegiate basketball required.
- Master's degree with 18 graduate semester hours in a teaching discipline from a regionally accredited institution preferred.
Three (3) letters of reference, Cover Letter, and Resume must be uploaded. Official Transcripts (where applicable) must be sent directly to the Office of Human Resources, 1510 Lake Road, Dyersburg, TN 38024.
DSCC requires OFFICIAL college transcripts be sent directly by the institution before an applicant packet is reviewed by the search committee. Unofficial transcripts can be downloaded. However, the applicant file is not considered complete until we receive the OFFICIAL transcripts from the institution for the highest degree awarded. Request transcript(s) be sent to: Dyersburg State Community College Attn: Human Resources 1510 Lake Road Dyersburg, TN 38024.
Initial appointment (when applicable) is contingent upon completion of an acceptable background check.
If you are interested, click on the link to the left to apply.
Open Until Filled: Yes