The Varsity Head Coach Position is responsible for coaching and overall direction of the boy’s basketball program. The Varsity Head Coach motivates student-athletes, and assumes a major role in fostering cooperation, teamwork, sportsmanship, fan involvement, and the overall development of student-athletes.
- Follows state, regional, and district regulations governing the athletic program.
- Hold organizational and informational meetings for prospective student athletes and parents.
- Holds organizational meetings for team prospects and encourages potential athletes to participate in the sport.
- Develops and communicates a regular practice schedule and organizes practice time to provide both individual and team development.
- Works with the athletics director in scheduling facilities for practices and competition.
- Assigns duties to assistant coach(es) as necessary.
- Assesses student’s skills and assigns team positions.
- Coaches and instructs students, individually or in groups, regarding the rules, regulations, equipment, and techniques of the sport.
- Observes students, during competition and practice to determine the needs for individual or team improvement.
- Some experience as a head coach or assistant coach at the high school or college level is preferred.
- Must possess effective coaching techniques and skills.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of the rules, regulations, strategies, and techniques of the sport.
- Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with school administrators, parents, students, and the community.