Position is responsible for coaching student athletes in game strategies and techniques to prepare them for athletic competition. Position motivates student athletes to develop an appreciation of the sport.
- Holds organizational meetings for team prospects and encourages potential athletes to participate in the sport.
- Assesses player’s skills and assigns team positions.
- Develops a regular practice schedule and organizes practice time to provide both individual and team development.
- Works with the athletics director in scheduling facilities for practices and competition.
- Assigns duties to an assistant coach as necessary.
- Coaches and instructs players, individually or in groups, regarding the rules, regulations, equipment, and techniques of the sport.
- Observes players, during competition and practice to determine the needs for individual or team improvement.
- Determines game strategy based on the team’s capabilities.
- Some experience as a head cross country coach or assistant coach at the high school or college level preferred.
- Must possess effective coaching techniques and skills.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of the rules, regulations, strategies, and techniques of the sport.
- Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with school administrators, parents, and students.