- Certified as a teacher by the West Virginia Board of Education or holds coaching authorization granted by the State Superintendent of Schools.
- Exhibit knowledge of the assigned sport, as well as of the duties and responsibilities of a head coach and the ability to perform the duties and responsibilities as demonstrated in the personal interview.
- Specialized training in the area of assigned sport.
- Good evaluations and/or recommendations from professional associates, employers, and/or supervisors.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, school personnel and parents.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement clinics and schedule times for a weight training program year round.
- Inventory and maintenance of equipment before and after the season.
- Determine eligibility of players. Be sure all athletes have turned in the proper paperwork before participating (i.e. birth certificates, physical forms, and insurance forms).
- Take an active role in the prevention of drugs, alcohol, and tobacco abuse.
- Work closely with the athletic trainer to prevent injuries and stress injury prevention to athletes.
- The head coach will be responsible for all coaching and teaching activity concerning the sport.
- Strive to set an example of the highest ethical and moral conduct, and emphasize sportsmanship.
- Develop, implement and manage the athletic program.
- Foster a climate conducive to learning and good sportsmanship.
- Establish and maintain proper record keeping systems.
- Provide good leadership in the academic and extra-curricular programs.
- Practice positive public relations.
- Maintain professional work habits.