The primary responsibility is to promote fun, teach a basic knowledge of the sport. Coaches must follow the East Grand Rapids Parks and Recreation Department philosophy. Middle School interscholastic sports will also abide by the West Michigan Middle School conference rules and regulations.
Essential Job Functions:
- Flexible time commitment.
- Promote a positive learning environment for every player.
- Create opportunity and participation for all players during practice and contests.
- Play by and teach the rules established by the EGR Parks and Recreation Department along with each specific league in which we compete.
- Be organized throughout the season with excellent player and parent communications.
- Promote teamwork and equality for all players.
- Inform players/parents of any changes during the season in a timely manner.
- Hold a preseason parent meeting to go over expectations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Be able to handle conflict in a professional manner with players, parents, and officials.
- You must be available and committed to the entire sport season.
- Conduct organized practices and teach the fundamental skills along with the rules for the sport.
- Act as an adult role model and mentor.
- Must possess a high degree of knowledge relating to the sport you are coaching including the rules and regulation.