The classroom teacher performs under supervision of a principal or other designated supervisor and has major responsibility for the instruction and supervision of students. Instruction of students shall include individual skill development, expansion of knowledge, and development of ability to reason. Supervision of students shall include guidance, development and safety.
- Plan, prepare and deliver lesson plans and instruction, providing materials which facilitate active learning; monitor student progress and adapt course content delivery methods in order to meet the needs of individual students; instruct and monitor students in the use of learning materials, technologies and equipment to support instruction.
- Promote a culture of high expectations, providing every student with high quality and culturally relevant instruction; support and implement the District’s Educational Racial Equity Policy; create a safe, welcoming classroom environment that reflects and supports the racial and ethnic diversity of the student population and community.
- Understand how learners grow and develop, recognizing variations within and across cognitive, linguistic, social, emotional and physical areas, diversity of cultures and communities; implement and insure a developmentally appropriate, challenging and high-standards learning environment.
- Develop and implement instructional practices and strategies that include multiple methods of assessment, support students in meeting rigorous learning goals and engage and encourage learners to develop deep understanding of content areas.
- Develop and implement effective classroom management strategies, providing a safe, secure and respectful learning environment; communicate student behavior expectations in a positive manner; convey reminders, rules and expectations with consistency and equity, while recognizing the unique qualities and characteristics of the individual.
- Understand central concepts, tools of inquiry and structures of curriculum; apply concepts to create meaningful learning experiences designed to engage learners in critical thinking, creativity and collaborative problem-solving.
- Incumbents must be properly licensed by the Teacher Standards and Practices Commission for assignment as a Professional Educator.
- Bilingual/Bi-Cultural Chinese, Russian, Somali, Spanish, and Vietnamese applicants are highly desirable.