To develop an activity oriented program which will offer an opportunity for the individual to achieve acceptable values and perceptions of self and others while increasing in strength, endurance, power flexibility, agility, balance, speed and coordination. Programs will be designed to produce students with an awareness to maintain fitness necessary for healthful living.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans for the most efficient utilization and care of equipment and facilities
- Instills in all students the desire and need for physical activity and the confidence in his/her ability to perform comfortably.
- Provides safety instruction in every activity taught and requires students to take responsibility for decision making and makes safety checks on equipment and field areas to insure the overall safety of students.
- Presents for a public audience some phase of the current physical education program upon principal’s request.
- Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated.
- Plans a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of the students.
- Provides students in all grades a sequential, comprehensive, instructional program of physical education, including, but not confined to: physical fitness, basic movement skills, ball handling, problem solving, rhythms, tumbling, games using no equipment, station activities, apparatus and self testing activities, and lead-up games for more organized activities.
- Administers district-approved standardized physical fitness test to all students (1-6) and provides both the students and parents written results of such tests twice annually.
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- A valid Tennessee Teacher’s Certificate with the appropriate endorsement.
- Successful student teaching experience if applicable.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.