This position provides direct instruction to students served in Special Education programs on the Westmoreland campus in the areas of health and wellness, fitness and growth, and assigned electives. The teacher collaborates with school team members and provides strategies and supports for increasing student movement and fitness within the classroom and supports the implementation of special education goals, physical education content knowledge, and effective and engaging teaching strategies.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Create a classroom environment of respect and rapport, establish a culture for learning, and manage student behavior equitable and fairly.
- Plan a program of study aligned with Oregon Core Standards to meet physical education goals.
- Plan elective courses related to health, wellness, social emotional skills, or other topics based on student interests.
- Establish measurable and realistic instructional goals targeting the individual needs, interests, and abilities of students.
- Provide appropriate safety instruction and make safety checks on equipment and field areas to ensure the overall safety of students.
- Facilitate student's physical, cognitive, and social and emotional learning through engaging and effective lessons designed to sequentially develop skills appropriate to their ability and confidence levels.
- Provide ongoing formative feedback to students.
- A valid Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC) license with Physical Education endorsement is required.
- Prior experience working with students receiving special education services is preferred.
- The ability to communicate effectively (both orally and in writing) with students, parents and staff, and the ability to maintain confidentiality when dealing with student, staff and/or parent information is required.
- A current First Aid/CPR Card or ability to obtain certification within 6 months is required.