Position is responsible for creating a classroom environment that fosters, promotes and develops an understanding of the relationship of healthy body function and exercise; that motivates each student to cultivate physical fitness, and appropriate social and emotional adjustment; that discovers and develop the talents of students in physical achievement; and that develops strength, skill, agility, poise, and coordination in individual, dual and team physical activities and sports, in accordance with each student’s ability.
Essential Job Functions:
- Teaches and demonstrates as required, knowledge and skills in physical fitness, health education, rhythms and dance, and individual, dual or team sports, utilizing curriculum designated by CCPSchools and other appropriate learning activities.
- Works cooperatively with other physical education teachers in planning and implementing a balanced physical education program. Collaborates with other faculty in planning and delivering instruction to the students.
- Develops lesson plans and supplementary materials compatible with the division’s basic instructional philosophy and congruent with course and SOL standards; provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student and subgroups of students.
- Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior to provide an orderly, productive environment in the physical education areas.
- Provides appropriate safety instruction and makes safety checks on equipment and field areas to ensure the overall safety of students.
- Assesses student learning on an ongoing basis and alters instruction to meet group/individual needs.
- Maintains control of storage and use of school property.
- Working knowledge of the concepts, principles and methodologies of instruction.
- Working knowledge of academic curriculum for assigned classes.
- Demonstrated skill in the use of computer technology as a tool for teaching, learning, research, and communication.
- Demonstrated ability to develop instructional goals, to design and deliver instruction and to assess students’ learning.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze student needs and provide program activities consistent with those needs.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of personnel and students.