The Physical Education Teacher works closely with all members of the dedicated, inter-disciplinary therapeutic team supporting the students and classroom. This teacher also collaborates with parents and guardians to ensure the greatest wrap around services, school -to-home communications, and understanding of the student. Collaboration with our partnering school districts is also essential.
- Implements therapeutic physical educational programs for specific groups of students.
- Utilizes classroom management skills that recognize and include consideration of the characteristics of and the methodology of the student population.
- Engages all students in moderate to vigorous physical activity during two thirds of all PE class time.
- Prepares and maintains a safe, organized, healthy, academically, and behaviorally effective classroom environment appropriate to ongoing and changing classroom activities which align with all accrediting, regulatory, and governing organizations.
- Organize extracurricular sporting and school activities for students such as intramural games and park outings, and field trips.
- Must be certified by Illinois State Board of Education as a Physical Education teacher.
- Endorsement or Certification in Special or Adapted Physical Education is a plus.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as a school physical education instructor with students with special needs population-including children with Autism, ED, BD, LD.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office programs
- Must successfully complete Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI) training.