To develop in each student an understanding of the relationship of good body function and exercise; to motivate each student to cultivate physical fitness, hygienic habits, and good social and emotional adjustment; to discover and develop talents of students in physical achievement; to develop strength, skill, agility, poise, and coordination in individual, dual, and team physical activities and sports, in accordance with each student’s ability.
- Possesses or qualify for a Virginia Collegiate Professional license with specific endorsement in the area to which assigned.
- Possesses outstanding knowledge and skill in the assigned instructional area and demonstrates enthusiasm for teaching and the learning process.
- Demonstrates knowledge of instructional strategies and skills related to scientifically-based research and its implementation.
- Proficiency in public speaking and written communication to express and/or exchange ideas.
- Works cooperatively with other physical education teachers in planning a balanced physical education program.
- Analyzes, demonstrates, and explains basic skills, knowledge’s, and strategies of formal sports, games rhythms, and fundamentals of body movement.
- Provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student, to the extent feasible.
- Provides appropriate safety instruction and makes safety checks on equipment and field areas to insure the overall safety of students.
- Maintains control of storage and use of school owned property.