Under the direction of the Assistant Principal/Principal, the Physical Education Teacher will be responsible for the development and implementation of appropriate recreational programming within the ResEd program including but not limited to physical education, health, recess, and recreational school wide events.
- Work as a part of a multidisciplinary team to further the emotional, behavioral, and educational development of children.
- Maintain a classroom atmosphere that is conducive to learning and effectively manage the behavior of students in small and large groups.
- Apply Walker's model of childcare, including Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI), which requires verbal and physical client intervention, when necessary, utilizing components of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Solution Focused Therapy, participating in cooperative group games, and behavioral support.
- Implement treatment protocol and appropriate therapeutic strategies established in children's treatment plans, IEPs, and individual support plans.
- Meet children's physical needs and provide a safe and therapeutic environment for children.
- Participate fully in the administrative functions of teaching and child care, including attending and participating in required meetings, completing assigned report writing tasks in a timely manner, and actively communicating with families and members of the students' multidisciplinary team.
- Actively participate in supervision and professional development opportunities offered at Walker.
- Ability to be flexible and work collaboratively.
- Ability to respond to emergency situations quickly and safely.
- Ability to work in a stressful and fast paced environment.
- Must understand child development and the impact of emotional, behavioral, and learning disabilities.
- Must understand issues of confidentiality.
- Must be receptive to supervision and professional development.