A Teacher performs complex professional work, providing teaching and/or training services to students in general instruction in one or more subject contents; motivates students to develop skills in assigned subject matters; performs related work as required. Teachers work with general supervision provided by school administrators. Limited supervision may be exercised over assigned paraprofessionals.
- Maintains and respects confidentiality of student and school personnel information;
- Meets and instructs the students(s) in assigned locations and at the designated times;
- Designs coherent instruction based upon knowledge of subject matter, current instructional practices, students, the community, and curriculum goals;
- Plans effective instruction to achieve desired objectives that reflect the Virginia Standards of Learning and division curriculum guidelines;
- Prepares for classes assigned and shows evidence of lesson preparation upon request of the building administrator(s);
- Diagnoses individual, group, and program needs and plans for the appropriate use of time, materials, and resources to match the ability and needs of all students;
- Evaluates students' progress; provides students with specific evaluative feedback; maintains appropriate records and prepares progress reports;
- Uses a variety of assessment strategies and instruments to make both short-term and long-range instructional decisions to improve student learning;
- Administers standardized tests in accordance with established procedures.
Teachers must possess thorough knowledge of subject(s) taught; thorough knowledge of elementary, secondary, or special education principles, practices and procedures; thorough knowledge of the principles and methodology of effective teaching; thorough knowledge of school division rules, regulations and procedures; ability to establish and maintain standards of behavior; ability to deliver articulate oral presentations and written reports; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, students, administration, and parents.