The Physical Education Teacher assists individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities at the Kessler Center to develop their physical abilities and learn healthy habits that can last the rest of their lives.
Essential Job Functions:
- Design a physical education environment that is both motivating and stimulating for students.
- Provide a daily written lesson plan in appropriate book form. Store book accessibly at the school should the teacher be unexpectedly absent.
- Maintain periodic progress scales for each student and attend case conferences on each student at appropriate intervals during the school year.
- Implement a behavioral intervention plan, as approved by the treatment team and SCIP protocols.
- Ensure that accurate attendance records are maintained and are submitted appropriately to the Principal (or designee)
- Submit monthly reports to appropriate parties.
- Attend school-specific and Agency-related staff and/or parent meetings as required.
- Ensure that all students are supervised at all times while participating in PE activities.
- Attend annual orientation for staff prior to school opening.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of a NYS Registered Program for Physical Education.
- NYS Teacher Certification.
- Minimum of two (2) years' work experience preferred.
- Adaptive PE Experience preferred.
- Commitment to providing high quality services to individuals with disabilities in community and residential settings.
Valid driver's license for use in transportation of program participants as needed.