TEP is deeply committed to Physical Education, evidenced by the fact that TEP students receive one full period of Physical Education every single day, across every single grade. As one of the three pillars of our program (Academics, Arts, and Athletics), TEP treats Physical Education as a full-fledged academic subject, and not as an elective meant to supplement. You will collaborate with other grade-level teachers to integrate physical education into the broader middle school educational experience, ensuring that students develop healthy habits and love for physical activity.
- Deeply aligned to TEP's mission of providing a world-class education to historically under-resourced student communities (90% of TEP students qualify for free or reduced-price lunch, 22% of TEP students receive Special Education services, and 25% of TEP students are Multi-Lingual Learners).
- Classroom experience: Minimum of 3 years of lead teaching experience, at least 2 of which must have been in classrooms that support Special Education students from 4th through 9th grade classrooms in a public charter school, traditional public school, or private school setting.
- The ability to design and implement an engaging physical education curriculum that aligns with physical education state standards and encourages a lifelong commitment to health and physical activity.
- Outstanding verbal ability and strong communication skills.
- Certification requirements: Physical Education Teachers do not need to possess a New York State Teacher Certification to be hired at TEP Charter School. However, prospective Physical Education teachers that do not yet have New York State teaching certification must identify and present a pathway to obtain New York State teaching certification on their application.
- Education requirements: TEP adheres to the educational background requirements outlined within the individual pathways to NYS teaching certification (see above), and does not require any additional degree programs for Physical Education Teachers.