Provides responsible administrative, clerical, and human support in assisting the classroom teacher in the management and instruction of students; performs related tasks as required and directed; all work is performed under the direction and supervision of the classroom teacher, however, the aide may independently carry out particular aspects of the instructional program which include activities outside of the normal school facility.
- Carries out instructional plans as designated by the classroom teacher and if appropriate the student's Individual Educational Plan (IEP);
- Carries out follow-up and review lessons;
- Develops and maintains pleasant and orderly classroom environment (e.g., maintain instructional materials, design bulletin boards, assist special education teacher and/or students in clean up activities, etc.);
- Assists teacher in maintaining appropriate level of classroom behavior and control;
- With classroom teacher's knowledge and approval, carries out appropriate discipline of students;
- Procures, sets up, and operates audio-visual equipment;
- Assists students in completion of learning tasks assigned by classroom teachers;
- Assists teacher in related instructional activities (e.g., field trips, library, assembly, etc.) as directed;
- Assists in physical movement of students from one learning environment to another.
- Ability to develop and maintain an empathetic attitude toward disabled students; willing to learn specialized instructional/management techniques employed with disabled students; ability to communicate and develop effective working relationships with students, parents, and staff; must be high school graduate or hold equivalence of a high school diploma and be willing to seek and maintain CPR certification.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school including basic keyboard and filing training.