Under the supervision of the manager and working within their scope of practice as part of a multidisciplinary team, the Physical Therapist I assesses, plans, organizes, and participates in rehabilitative programs that improve or restore physical function, alleviate pain and prevent dysfunction in patients with impairments, functional limitations, disabilities or changes in physical function and health status from injury, disease or other causes.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Examines patient using appropriate testing methods and instrumentation, appropriately records and interprets all findings, and identifies patient needs.
- Formulates a detailed assessment based upon findings of the examination.
- Develops treatment plan and patient outcomes, incorporating the input of the patient, their family and other health professionals. Ensures that the plan and outcomes are functional, time-based, and measurable, and incorporates diagnosis, prognosis, physical/mental status and anticipated lifestyles.
- Safely and effectively implements the treatment intervention. Applies sound clinical judgment and skill.
- Engages a high degree of patient motivation and cooperation in treatment, as evidenced by patient compliance with treatment intervention.
- Provides patient/family education during therapy and in preparation for discharge.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Knowledge of Physical Therapy theory and practice.
- Ability to observe, assess and record objective findings, symptoms, reactions and progress. Skills in critical judgement and thinking.
- Ability to effectively communicate medical information, test results, diagnoses, and/or proposed treatment in a manner easily understood by the patient. Clear and effective oral and written communication.
- Knowledge of Physical Therapy services, facilities and equipment.
- Ability to assess individual patient needs.
- Skill in maintaining patient medical record.
- Knowledge of range of therapy methods and techniques.
- Ability to maintain quality, safety and/or infection control standards.