At Houston Methodist, the Physical Therapist (PT) position is responsible for assessing patients and developing the therapy plan of care. This position provides education to patients, patient’s family members, and/or caregivers and collaborates with other health care professionals as needed for problem resolution and/or achievement of identified patient specific goals.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team-focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Seeks guidance from others and collaborates with all members of the interprofessional care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner.
- Uses therapeutic communication, which includes active listening and teaching, to establish a relationship with patients, families and interprofessional health care team to collaborate on the plan of care.
- Serves as resource to co-workers and may assist in teaching and providing guidance to students and support staff. Contributes towards improvement of department scores for employee engagement, i.e. peer-to-peer accountability.
- Performs complete and comprehensive evaluation of patients to identify patient’s level of function and to determine the treatment plan. Develops the plan of care based on evaluation findings and implements the physical therapy treatment plan. Practices in a manner that is congruent with cultural diversity and inclusion principles.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Competent assessment, organizational and problem-solving skills as evidenced by capacity to prioritize multiple tasks and role components.
- Exhibits strong interpersonal, teamwork and leadership skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers.
- Possesses proficient computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems and standard Rehabilitation equipment.