Essential Job Functions:
- Provides individual counseling to student-athletes regarding their performance fueling and nutritional needs, meal plans, and personal nutrition goals.
- Provides diet and nutrition education regarding various topics and concerns, including hydration, food selection for type of training, meal planning, health effects, and recovery from illness/injury.
- Addresses nutritional challenges to performance such as food allergies, bone mineral disturbances, gastrointestinal disturbances, iron depletion, and iron deficiency anemia.
- Assesses and analyzes dietary practices, body composition, and energy balance (intake and expenditure) of student-athletes in the context of performance and health.
- Creates, updates, and maintains educational materials related to sports nutrition and dieting, including presentations, informational flyers, and handouts.
- Presents educational materials related to sports nutrition to various intercollegiate athletic teams and groups.
- Coordinates with campus dining staff on nutritious and healthy food options for student-athletes.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of, or the ability to learn, university policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, policies, procedures, and guidelines established by the conference and the NCAA.
- Knowledge of rules and regulations of national and international athletic governing bodies regarding banned drugs and restricted substances.
- Knowledge of best practices and procedures in food and nutrition science and services.
- Skill in using computer applications including spreadsheet, database, and word processing software.
- Skill in public speaking and delivering presentations to individuals and groups.
- Ability to develop objectives, evaluate effectiveness, and assess needs.
Stephen F. Austin State University, an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and Educator, is committed to excellence through diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, creed, color, age, national origin, religion or physical or mental disability as required by law.