Founded in 1985, the Gatorade Sports Science Institute (GSSI) is committed to helping athletes optimize their health and performance through research and education in hydration and nutrition science. As a part of GSSI, the incumbent of this Principle Scientist role will be responsible for managing the GSSI facility in Bradenton, Fl. This facility, opened in 2011, is our Athlete Education and Service Innovation Hub with an emphasis on both lab and field research ensuring the application of science to practice. It also affords us excellent opportunities for sports nutrition insight and incubation, as well as Elite Athlete support and potential for interventional research - with concomitant benefits for both PepsiCo Life Sciences R&D and the Sports & Fitness (Gatorade and beyond) Business Unit. The GSSI IMG site lead will be tasked with representing GSSI and the PepsiCo Life Sciences R&D teams with high standards and in accordance with ethical guidelines for human research and conduct, while also:
- Leading a dedicated team of up to four scientists based at The IMG Academy, including day-to-day lab and people management, as well as developing and then directing the GSSI IMG strategy ensuring synergy with the wider US and Global GSSI aims and objectives.
- Liaising and, where appropriate, developing collaborative research projects and working relationships with our IMG partners (student-athletes and staff), as well as our PepsiCo partners in the Sports & Fitness Business Unit and R&D.
- Representing GSSI daily on the IMG Campus ensuring that our business and scientific standards are upheld to the highest level possible.
- Being responsible for athlete recruitment, engagement of sports teams and the high-quality delivery of sports science and sports nutrition services to competitive and elite athletes.
- Assisting, or facilitating the IMG team to assist, with lab- and field-based testing for the purpose of elite athlete service, predominantly at the IMG location but on occasion to support our service teams working at locations across the US.
- Managing of the Operations Budget and ensuring spend is both appropriate and within PepsiCo policy and forecasted in a timely manner.
- Working with the IMG group to ensure the GSSI facility is maintained in accordance with all relevant IMG and PepsiCo Health and Safety Policies.
- Master’s and, preferably, a doctorate (PhD) degree in Exercise Science/Kinesiology/ Sports Nutrition or related discipline with experience in the lab and field-based research.
- Five or more years of experience working with athletes/influencers, including youth and elite athletes.
- Three or more years of leading a team of sport and exercise healthcare professionals and/or researchers.
- Demonstrable experience with finance and budget management.
- The incumbent must have a pro-active work style, able to multitask and be flexible to work in a high-performance and ever-changing environment (travel and occasional work during non-traditional hours, including weekends, approximately 15-20%).
- A strong, agile leader with advanced communication, publication, and strategy development skills.
- Excellent collaboration skills with a focus on innovation, solutions, and managing relationships.
If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please download the available EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement documents. View PepsiCo EEO Policy.